NU Votes is seeking motivated undergraduate and graduate students to serve as NU Votes Ambassadors for the 2022 Midterm Elections. Engage in this meaningful, hands-on opportunity to contribute to the political process, and build experience and skills in political organizing and voter engagement.
On November 8, 2022, voters will choose every member of the US House of Representatives, one-third of US Senators, more than two-thirds of state governors, and the vast majority of state legislators, in addition to countless other state and local officials. You have the opportunity to influence systems of power and make an impact on issues you care about, by voting in Illinois or in your home state, and by educating and motivating other students to vote.
Northwestern has recorded award-winning voter turnout in past years, and more than doubled our voter turnout in the 2018 midterm elections. Become an NU Votes Ambassador to help us break more records in 2022, and empower your peers to make their voices heard!
- Participate in NU Votes Ambassador training prior to the start of classes, as well as periodic check-in meetings throughout Fall Quarter
- Volunteer approximately 2–4 hours/week from mid-September through early November
- Be a visible presence for NU Votes within the campus community, and support marketing efforts via email, advertising, and social media
- Present information about the election in classes, student group meetings, events, etc.
- Initiate 1-on-1 conversations with your peers about registering and voting
- Organize voter education and turnout events (speakers, discussions, ballot parties, trips to the polls, and more)
- Foster a culture of civic engagement on campus, help make Northwestern’s voter turnout the best in the nation, and have an influence in the 2022 elections
- Learn best practices in voter registration, education, and turnout to implement in your student groups and networks
- Build hands-on experience with marketing, organizing, and political engagement
- Receive exclusive NU Votes merchandise, free food, thank you gifts and other giveaways, and more
NU Votes will also be hiring for paid NU Votes Staff roles in Fall Quarter; Ambassadors are invited to apply to these positions as well. NU Votes Staff receive training on registration and voting in all 50 states, work voter services stations across campus, process registration and absentee ballot request forms, and support other voter turnout activities and events. NU Votes Staff must participate in additional training, and be available to work half-day shifts, up to 6–10 hours/week, from mid-September through early November. Staff are paid $14/hour. If you are interested in Staff opportunities, indicate that in your Ambassador application and include your resume.
Who Should Apply?
We are seeking NU Votes Ambassadors that reflect the diversity of Northwestern students. Strong communication and interpersonal skills, initiative, and organizational and leadership skills are desired. Previous experience with voter registration, education or turnout efforts, or other civic or political engagement is helpful but not necessary. Eligibility to vote in the U.S. is not required. Above all, we are seeking students who are passionate about engaging their peers in the upcoming election. Does this sound like you?
Apply by June 5th for priority consideration. Applications will be accepted and considered throughout the summer as space permits, through September 15th.